Starting from version 3.8.0 Distance & Bearing method of adding points has been extended to support popular Laser rangefinders. This enables the user to automatically input distance and bearing readings from the rangefinder to MapIt.
MapIt has been tested with 2 popular range finders:
– LTI True Pulse 360B Laser rangefinder
Sample NMEA output for Horizontal Vector: $PLTIT,HV,3.70,M,165.90,D,-0.
– Trimble LaserAce™ 1000 rangefinder
Sample NMEA output for Horizontal Vector: $PTNLA,HV,2.94,M,288.1,D,8.6,D,2.98,M*5F
If your device supports Bluetooth connections and the output is consistent with NMEA standard you should be able to use it with MapIt – however this is not guaranteed.
Please follow the steps below to get MapIt properly connected to your rangefinder and use it as a distance & bearing source:
- Make sure your measurement units on the rangefinder are set to M (meters) for distance and D (degrees) for angles.
- Make sure the Bluetooth output contains HV (Horizontal Vector) data.
- Make sure the rangefinder’s Bluetooth function is switched on and the device is paired to your Android Device.
- Open MapIt and enable “Distance & Bearing” method for new points in ‘Survey Settings’.
5. When the ‘Distance & Bearing’ method is active you can now enable ‘Bluetooth rangefinder’ option. When enabling you will be asked to pick up the paired device. Please select the device you want to use as a source.
6. Get back to the map – the app will try to connect to your remote device and if it’s successful the Bluetooth symbol will be displayed as shown on the picture below. (Sometimes you may need to re-start the app to establish the connection)
7. In the ‘Project New Point’ dialog box select your start position and use the rangefinder to acquire a distance and bearing. If the distance and bearing fields are not immediately populated this is a sign that the rangefinder is not communicating with Mapit. To resolve this go to your tablet’s Connections page in its Settings menu and re-scan for Bluetooth devices even though your rangefinder has already been paired.
After scanning is complete, close and reopen MapIt. This should permit Bluetooth communication.